Friday, January 19, 2007

Cream

Well, we've had our first hilarious language misunderstanding. Shortly after dinner one night Charlie came to me with his dictionary open to the entry "cream." All the way through our China trip, he had been happiest drinking those drinkable yogurt drinks. They're very creamy. So I told him I didn't have any, but would buy some on our next trip to the store.

We went to the store a day or so later. I picked up some strawberry flavored drinkable yogurts for him. He liked them, especially since he has decided he doesn't like milk. He's been happily drinking them. Hey, as long as he's getting some dairy, I don't care if it's milk or yogurt, right?

Last night he came to me with sign dictionary open again. Same word--cream. I figured he was asking to have another one, since I'd only been putting them out at breakfast. I told him they were in the refrigerator and he could have one now, too, if he wanted. He got a startled look on his face, and kept pointing to the word in the sign dictionary. I went to the refrigerator and took one out to show him. He shook his head and pointed to the word again.

Hmmmm.....

Took the dictionary, and looked at the words clustered around that one. They were words like "perfume" and "bath oil."

Poor kid. His skin was dry and he wanted some cream or lotion to rub into his face.

No wonder he was startled. Here, have a strawberry yogurt.

No comments: