Saturday, August 8, 2009

Down Time - Part I

So Charlie left on August 2 for karate camp--a whole week of nothing but eat, sleep, karate; 3-4 workouts every day. I wasn't entirely sure about this, because he would be there for a whole week with all hearing people and no interpreter, not able to understand when an instructor was speaking to a whole group of people.

Yes, I know--he grew UP in that kind of environment, what's the big problem? Well, he can actually communicate now and has things to say and an insatiable curiosity to know what's going on around him. How will it affect him, being thrust back into an environment where he can't get his point across clearly? Will it frustrate him?

You wouldn't know I had any reservations when I was on the phone trying to convince the lady running the thing that it would be fine, and I'd explain the schedule to him ahead of time, and teach him all the important words I could think of so that he could spell them if it came down to trying to write back and forth. She had misgivings, but I encouraged her to speak with Charlie's head instructor and a few others who had worked with him and let me know her decision--he'd be fine.

She bought it.

I had a list of things as long as my arm I wanted to accomplish during the down-time while he was away. It can be incredibly draining sometimes with Charlie around. There is no down-time. The minute I look like I'm just reading for pleasure or playing with e-mails rather than working or studying, he is prodding me to do something with him: "Help me study the driving book. Help me read my story for the summer reading program. Help me learn algebra. Help me...."

And you know what? I help him. I would feel immensely guilty if I didn't, because he takes such joy in learning. This is what I adopted him for--to give him every opportunity it is in my power to give him, just as I gave to Rick.

And after I dropped him off in Rockville at the bus that would take him four hours away, I sat at home biting my nails down to nubs, and accomplished not a single thing on that list.

What was I thinkin'? He was fine.

When I picked him up today, every other sign off the boy's hands was "wonderful" and "awesome." He had the time of his life! He came back knowing the forms he needed for the next two belt tests and part of the first black-belt form, and he learned how to use several weapons, and someone apparently beat him enough that he learned how to look mean while doing his forms, and his team won third place in the team competition so he has (another) trophy to add to his little collection, and....

According to one of the adults I talked to, Charlie was the darling of the camp, and in no time at all was teaching sign language classes. There were two ladies there who knew fingerspelling and some basic signs, so he taught them some more, and they became his own personal little harem of Charlie's Angels.

He is already looking forward to next year.

I have to learn to let go. This week was hard. I was so depressed, I nearly started the process for adopting another one. And it's about to get worse--he is only home for one night, and then leaves tomorrow morning for football camp at school. He will be there for 3 whole weeks. Not as nerve-wracking, since it's a deaf camp and he will be in his own element communication-wise, but certainly every bit as lonely here on the home front.

I have a list as long as my arm of things to do during the down-time...

No comments: