Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What Would Happen to Me?

I was hoping it would be a while before this question arose.  Charlie finally wants to know what would happen to him if something happened to me.  Two recent events sparked the question in his mind, and he finally brought it up after wondering for a while. 

The first event involved bees.  Charlie didn't know I have a deadly allergy to bees until he saw me jump and run when a nest was discovered in a vehicle that has been sitting for a while.  That started the thought process.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, I went into the hospital for appendicitis, and had a heart attack while on the operating table.  Charlie was greatly relieved upon visiting in the hospital to see me sitting up, talking, signing, and looking okay, just in a lot of pain from the appendix surgery.  But that really brought the question to the forefront:  What would happen to him?

I explained that his godfather had agreed to be his legal guardian until such time as his older brother was professionally established enough to be able to take over, and that seemed to satisfy him. 

He didn't ask for any more specific details than that, such as whether he'd be able to stay at the same school, go to the same church, etc., so I'm guessing that means that he is comfortable with the plan and the people involved.  What I'm wondering, but afraid to ask, is whether he really worried that he would have to go back if something happened to me.  After some of the stuff I have found out about his past, that possibility would be worse than traumatic to him.  But he seems reassured that I've got him covered, so I guess that's all that's important. 

Sometimes I'd just love to get inside his mind...

No comments: