Saturday, May 19, 2007

Somewhere Over the Rainbow


We were heading home from some running around this evening, and as we pulled into our housing area, it started to rain. On the other side of the car, though, the sun was shining right in our faces, so brightly it nearly blinded us.

Charlie, our budding scientist, remembered that if you see both sunshine AND rain, there's gotta be a rainbow SOMEWHERE. Of course, I didn't see that running through his mind. There was a cool song on the radio, and I was in the zone. Suddenly I hear a shout, and Charlie starts babbling and jumping around in his seat like he'd been stung by a bee or something. I look over at him (nearly running off the road in the process), and he's got his neck craned halfway around, pointing and dancing and babbling. He found a rainbow. He's definitely his mama's boy--I love rainbows, too.

I have never seen him so outwardly excited. He had his hand on the door handle, and I thought he was going to jump out while the car was still in motion. He starts gathering up the stuff that he has to take into the house, and puts his hand on the door, ready to open it the second I stop the car, babbling away the whole time.

I barely got pulled into the driveway when he launched himself out the door, had his keys out, got in the house. As I walked in, he barrels into me, on his way back out again, camera in hand.

It's pretty hard to get a rainbow to show up well on film, but I think he did okay.

No comments: