Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Squirrel (in a) Stew


I still can't believe it. When I got home from work today, Charlie had a big box sitting over his contraption with a weight on top of the box. Told me to get my camera. Then he took off the weight, took off the box and revealed his catch. The picture says it all, folks.

That poor squirrel was so upset that he had peed all over what little bit of flooring was under him while he waited. Charlie said when the basket first came down on top of him, he was in such a tizz that he kept running around like a hamster in a ball, spinning all over the deck inside of this basket. Charlie got pictures of the whole thing, from the time the squirrel starting nosing around the basket until it trapped him.

After I got the pictures, I told him to let it loose, so he picked up the flower basket. His big mistake was to be in between the flower basket and the side of the deck that faces the woods. That squirrel damn near knocked him over trying to get away. When he hit the edge of the deck, he didn't even bother climbing down the support posts like he usually does (our deck is one story off the ground). No, he just jumped. Flew across the walking path and didn't hit terra firma until a tree got in the way.

Now I know why they call them flying squirrels.

No comments: