Friday, July 7, 2006

Happy Birthday, Xiao Tian!

Okay, so I lied a little--I don't yet have the LID notification, but a more important event came up. As I write, it is 9p the night of July 6, but on XiaoTian's side of the world, it is 9a tomorrow, and it is his birthday. My hope is that he is very close to knowing about us. As soon as my preapproval letter comes, I can send something to him. And guess what? Someone from one of my chat boards clued me in to a site that will deliver birthday cakes to the orphanage for you. They get around customs by using a local cake service. Check out the site www.blessedkids.com. It's awesome! (They even send a disposable camera so pictures can be taken of him when he gets the cake.)


Since it is considered culturally appropriate to send cakes/gifts even after the actual birthday, if that preapproval letter isn't too far out in the future, I'm going to send him a cake from Mama and Rick. That'll get there faster than the photo album package I'm sending through the adoption agency, so his birthday cake will be his first inkling that something is still up. My poor guy--I know he must be wondering whether the family that social worker talked to him about back in March is ever going to come to get him. Soon, sweetie, soon.

Happy birthday, son. And may there be many, many more with our family around you.

No comments: