Monday, April 30, 2007

Of Mice and Men (or squirrels and boys)

Charlie has picked up quickly that squirrels are not my favorite creatures. I have a number of bird feeders hanging off my deck, and I spent a considerable amount of time and energy trying to keep squirrels out of the bird food. I think a squirrel can eat something like 283 times his own body weight, or something like that. Anyway, Rick told Charlie the story about the day I was home with the flu, and the squirrel was looking me in the eye while he hung from the top of the bird feeder, digging seed out of the hole with his greedy little paws. Since I was feverish to start with, I was probably hallucinating the glee I saw on his face as he started cleaning it out, but it ticked me off so bad that I flew out the door onto the snow-covered deck, barefoot and in my bathrobe, scooping up snow by the handful and throwing snowballs and screaming at the squirrel, which is frantically jumping from bird feeder to deck railing to tree branch, trying to escape this maniacal, obviously sick woman.

Charlie was laughing hysterically while Rick told him this story, so it comes as no great surprise that Charlie is now plotting how to defeat the squirrels and do a better job of it than mom did.

The picture above is what I found when I came home from work tonight. Charlie spent the day devising a squirrel trap. So in the picture above, we see a box of sunflower seeds to attract the squirrel, an overturned wire flower basket to act as a cage, propped up on a candle with a string around it. The string extends to the kitchen, where Charlie has been sitting all evening, waiting for the squirrel to show up, so he can pull the candle out and make the basket fall on the squirrel, trapping him under the basket.

I haven't seen the kid sit this still since he got here. He can be incredibly focused when he wants to be.

I would say there's no way in hades he's gonna catch a squirrel with this thing, but this is Charlie we're talking about. I guess if he does catch one, we'll have to get pictures and post them here in an update, 'cause no one will believe me without proof when I say my 13-year-old from China caught a squirrel without a gun, using only a flower pot, a candle, and a string.





No comments: