Monday, October 23, 2006

Letter #6 - ASL and 26 letters

I'm so proud of this boy--the reason he says he knows "many ASL" is because when I sent him the care package, it included a child's coloring book called "Signs for Me" that showed pictures of different activities or objects, listed the English word, and then showed a picture of someone signing it. I got my friend David to write the Chinese words next to the English words. Xiao Tian has apparently just gone to town with learning his new language from this book. Can you imagine how fast he will soak it up once he's around someone actually signing to him?


When I wrote back, I told him he was doing very well if he has learned all 26 letters, because that is all we have, since English is not like Chinese where you must memorize thousands and thousands of characters. Now he just needs to learn to put the letters all together!
Looks like we need to get his hearing aids properly calibrated the minute we get off the plane.

Man, I wish I could promise him that his teacher is right and November is correct. It's just around the corner now, but I still haven't heard anything about my travel approval. Chomping at the bit here.....

Dear mama and gege:

Nihao! I am your son xiaotian. I can do many ASL now. I want to tell mama, I don't like the hearing aids, because once I wear them, they are too loud, I feel dizzy, and I cannot hear someone's calling. Right now, the teacher in SWI teaches me 26 letters. Will the keyboard have wubi, pinyin and English? I see what you meant about divorce. I love mama and gege. The teacher told me that me and mama will fly to US in November, is that right? Can mama teach me more English?

Your son xuxiaotian

No comments: