Friday, December 22, 2006

Letter #12 - Wanna Do Kung Fu

To tell the truth, I was getting a little worried that I hadn't heard from him since I sent the note saying I would be there to get him on the 27th. Wondered if he was getting anxious or scared. Not to worry, though--I got a letter from our intermediary today saying that now that the adoption is so close, the SWI won't let him outside much. Did manage to smuggle out one last letter from him, though. Resourceful, aren't they?


The intermediary tells me that he has figured out how to cross-reference the two dictionaries I sent him (ASL-English and Chinese-English) to figure out new words, but he is complaining because he can't always understand the pictures in the ASL dictionary--they aren't clear enough for him to tell exactly how to make the sign. Everybody's a critic. I just can't believe he's still trying to teach himself!

Oh, and great, just what I need....the kid wants to take karate. It's not enough that he has to hit the ground running and learn TWO new languages simultaneously (ASL and English)? And how the heck am I going to interpret karate instructions?? I knew I should have scrubbed the KungFu performance by the Shaolin Monks off of the Beijing itinerary....

Okay, deep breath, calm down....cross that bridge when we get there.

Here's the latest (and probably last!) letter:

Dear Mama,

Nihao! I knew you will come to pick me up on 27th, I am so happy about that! Thank you for sending so many candies to the children. I can look up the dictionary by myself, I study hard. I know mama will teach me the pictures I don't know, thank you. Mama was a martial artist, I want to learn it when I am in US.

Wish mama and gege have a joyous Christmas!

Your son
Xiaotian

No comments: