Monday, December 4, 2006

Letter #10 - More ASL, Mom!

Dear mama,

Nihao! I remembered all the letters and ASL in the book you sent to me, so I am ready for another book, please give me more ASL books. Mama and gege, I thought about what I am going to do in the future. I like sports at school, riding a bike, swimming, computer and drawing, also I like do some sewing. Dear mama I can sew some little toy and blanket.

Everynight I can receive your kiss from my dream. I keep that picture well till you come to get me. I hope mama can bring some local food of our city, thank you mama. I love you dear mama and gege!

xiaotian



Dear XiaoTian,

I have sent you a package and you should receive it very soon. I mailed it on Thursday night, and they said it will take 4-10 days to be delivered, so you might possibly get it this week. I hope you like what is in it.

I have decided that now that you know your 26 letters in English and many ASL, it would be too easy for you if I ask David to write the Chinese words in the ASL book I am sending for you, and it would take David a long time, because what I sent is an ASL-English dictionary with many, many, many ASL signs. So I also sent a Chinese-English dictionary. Here is what you must do: Look first in the ASL dictionary and look at the picture of the sign. Next to it in dark typing is the English word for that sign. Then go to the Chinese-English dictionary, and look for that word in the English side. You can find it because the first letter the word starts with is in the book in the order that you learned the letters, so first are all words beginning with A, then all words beginning with B, etc. When you find that English word, you can see the Chinese word next to it, and then you can write the Chinese word in your ASL dictionary next to the sign.

Since you are so smart, I think this will keep you busy for a little while, yes? You will probably still be working on it when I come to get you! I am very proud that you have worked so hard to learn all the ASL I sent you and English with your teacher at SWI. Please tell your teacher that I said thank you for taking the time to teach my son English--that is very, very kind of her.

I also put in a sweatshirt from Gallaudet University for the Deaf. I am not sure of your size, so I hope that it fits you okay. If it does not fit you, then you may give it to a smaller child and I will buy you a bigger one when we get home to the U.S.

There are also many candies in the box. You must promise to share them with your friends and teachers, yes? Do not try to eat so much candy by yourself, it will make you sick if you eat too much. But there is plenty to share. And be sure to brush your teeth after eating candy!

Do you sew with a needle and thread? I have a sewing machine here at home that you may learn to use if you wish. I also understand that you taught yourself to knit. I can knit a little bit, but I am not very good. I have knitting needles and crochet hooks if you wish to use them to make something.

I am trying to put up our Christmas tree this week. It is a big artificial tree, so it takes a long time (about 7 hours) and I cannot do it all at one time. So I will try to stand it up and put it together tonight, and then perhaps tomorrow night put on the lights, and then the next night decorate it with all the little balls. It is a lot of work, but it is very pretty when it is finished. Once I get it all decorated, would you like me to send you a picture, or do you want the sight of it to be a surprise when you arrive in the U.S.?

I love you, XiaoTian, be safe and happy until I can see you.

Love,
Mama

No comments: