Sunday, November 26, 2006

Letter #9 - How to Pay for Love?

Here's the latest from China!


Dear mama,

How are you? I can remember all the letters' sign language in that book you sent to me. I heard about Christmas before, but if I cannot be with you all then, next year for sure I will be with mama and gege, I will be very happy. I learned a lot ASL. I will keep that picture for you and gege. I have a mom who loves soooo much, I want to give you my kiss. I am so happy mama will give me a good name.

I don't know my real parents, I was sent to SWI when I was 3 years old, I was brought up in SWI. I will study hard, once I have a job, I will requite you and gege for your love.

Your son xiaotian


Dear XiaoTian,

If you remember all those letters and all the ASL from that book I sent you, then you are ready for another book. I will have to find you some more ASL books and hope that David (Tongguang) can write the Chinese in them for you. You are very intelligent to learn so much so quickly, and I think you will do very well in school. I have learned a little bit of Chinese sign language, but the DVD I have only has 4 lessons, so I think you will know more ASL than I know of Chinese sign. But I think we will communicate very well.

Gege and I went to a really interesting worship service the night before Thanksgiving. You would have liked it, I think. It was at the deaf church, and the deaf choir was signing a song, but the church was dark so you couldn't see them. The only light was a "black light" that looks almost purple, and the choir members were all wearing black clothes with white gloves. So all you could see while they did this song in sign language was the hands in the gloves making the signs. It was so beautiful, and I thought to myself how you would have enjoyed seeing that. Hopefully they will do something like that again after you are here and we can go again so you can see it, too.

There is something you must learn about being a family, the first and most important thing. You say when you get a job, you will pay us back for our love, but that's not how it works. You see, the only way to pay someone back for loving you is with more love. You don't have to get a job and make money to make us happy for loving you. All you have to do is love us, too, and that makes us happier than any money you could ever make at a job. I will be happy if you get a good job just because it will be good to know that you can provide well for yourself and your family once I am no longer on earth. But the job will not be to pay me for loving you. Nothing can pay me for that, except your love. Do you see how it works? I adopt you because I love you, and you love me for adopting you, and then I love you more because you love me, and you love me even more because I loved you more....and soon, there is so much love that it spills over to other people because they see how happy we are. If everyone could be that way, there would be a lot of love in the world, right?

Speaking of jobs, though, have you ever thought about what you want to be when you grow up? What classes in school do you like the most? Is there anything you are very good at and enjoy doing? I am wondering if I need to arrange for some special classes for my intelligent son.

Did you know that you have already had a profound impact on gege, even though you two haven't met yet? When gege found out that I was definitely going to be able to adopt you, he canceled one of his college classes, and took a sign language class instead so that he would learn to communicate with you better. He has enjoyed the sign language class so much that he has decided to become a sign language interpreter as his profession. Before, he was not sure what he wanted to do as a job, but now he knows that he wants to work with deaf people and be an interpreter. Wow!

I can't wait to get that kiss from you (all mamas like kisses!) and to see the picture. Stay healthy and be happy even during the wait, and until we can meet, we will see each other in our dreams and blow kisses on the wind like always.

Love you,
Mama

No comments: